A hearty and warming casserole.
Ginger is an amazing medicinal herb as well as a great flavouring. It is warming, soothes the digestion, has anti-inflammatory compounds and can chase away coughs and colds. Bone broth is high in gelatin, which can break down into joint-supporting collagen in the body. It is also a great source of gut-healing glutamine.
Prepare: 30 minutes
Cook: 8 hours
- 250g beef brisket (stewing beef)
- 1 carrot
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ fresh chilli (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1” piece of fresh ginger
- 1tbsp miso paste
- 1tbsp sugar, honey or Sugavida
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 150ml/ ⅔ cup beef bone broth (or a beef stock cube, made up in water)
- 3 spring onions
- 2 handfuls fresh beansprouts
- Sesame oil for cooking
- 2tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- ½ head broccoli
- 100g/½ cup basmati or cauliflower rice
*only cauliflower rice is allowed in the first 14 days of the Refresh programme.
- Chop the carrot and onion and place in the slow cooker. Trim any excess fat from the brisket and cut into long, thick slices.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the beef until golden brown. Then place in the slow cooker, reserving the pan juices.
- Chop or crush the garlic, finely chop the chilli and grate the ginger into the slow cooker.
- Add sugar, miso, soy sauce, stock or broth and 1tsp sesame oil to the frying pan juices and simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add the chopped spring onions 30 mins before serving.
- Steam the broccoli and make either the rice or the cauliflower rice.
- When the beef is cooked, stir in a drizzle of sesame oil and add the beansprouts.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the beef, before serving.
- Serve with steamed broccoli and cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower rice is very easy to make at home but is also sold in many supermarkets ready ‘riced’. Use a head of cauliflower and chop in a processor to the consistency of rice. Drizzle with olive oil, stir and season, then fry for a few minutes until soft.
nutrition (per serving):
- 633 kCal
- 21g total fat
- 6g saturated fat
- 68g net carbs
- 44g protein
- 8g fibre