Avoid harmful insecticides with this simple, natural solution!
The insecticides contained in over-the-counter head lice shampoos and treatments have been linked to issues with cognitive performance in children (including memory, learning and development).
Jess says: Our natural home herbal shampoo uses the power of lavender and rosemary essential oils, with neem. Not a single child who uses this shampoo has ever caught head lice, despite many epidemics in school! I use neem oil to stop lice and mites on our chicken coup too, and it works brilliantly.
Always invest in a good nit comb to remove the eggs and lice and you will need to check wet, brushed hair all over every 4 days for 3 weeks after you’ve found the last head louse to ensure they are nit-free. Make sure to also spray the hair of other members of the family, after checking them, and add essential oils to all children’s shampoo for a few months to ensure they are not reinfected at school.
avoid the chemicals and treat head lice naturally
Neem oil has been used for thousands of years to treat lice and is an excellent treatment. The only downside is its smell (like rancid vinegar), so it needs diluting. Here’s how to incorporate it into a mild and pleasant head lice treatment, suitable for all ages.
- In a spray bottle, add a ¼ part neem oil to ¾ parts vinegar (apple cider vinegar is best, but any vinegar will do) then add 10 drops of lavender oil, 10 drops of tea tree oil and 10 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Wet the hair and, leaning over a sink or bath, spray the mixture liberally through the hair, then comb it through and repeat.
- Leave the mixture on the hair for 30 minutes.
- Rinse away the mixture using plenty of shampoo. Any residual smell from the neem oil will disappear after a second wash.
- Comb the hair through, checking for any remaining lice. Repeat this process daily until no more lice are visible. Remember to wash all clothes, towels and bedding, and vacuum thoroughly, including furniture.
To prevent re-infestation, add 2-3 drops of lavender and rosemary essential oil to your shampoo each time you wash, or add 12 drops of each to the bottle. At The Natural Doctors, we like Child’s Farm and Faith in Nature shampoos for children.
If you are struggling with a serious infestation and want to avoid the chemicals we also recommend NitNot Headlice treatment which has worked for many of our patients.